Maeklong Railway Market
Maeklong Railway Market is unique in that one minute it is a busy normal market with sale goods all over the railway tracks until the 3 minute warning sounds then the stall holders all quickly pack everything away and fold back the canopies just before the train goes right through the middle of the market, then, in a matter of seconds, it unfolds back into a busy market.
Damnoen Saduak Floating Market
This is the original floating market, located about 90 km southwest of Bangkok in Ratchaburi Province. You need to set your alarm clock for this trip; the market starts about 6am and finishes about 12 midday. Most of the tourists arrive about 9am.
The market is about 150 years old, it was created in 1866 when King Rama IV ordered the building of a 32 km canal to join the Taachin and Mae Khlong rivers, about 200 smaller canals branched off this main canal, irrigating the whole area. For over a century local farmers have grown fruit and vegetables in the fertile soil and used the canals to take their produce laden barges to market.
Nowadays the market has become a major tourist attraction and the majority of customers are tourists not locals, although fruit, vegetables and cooked food are still sold, the market has expanded considerably to sell just about anything. The usual price of boat hire is about 600 baht per hour
Private Tour Details
Private Tour You have your own driver and vehicle, you are not sharing a coach with strangers. Also we do not take you to the overpriced tourist trap stores on the way, as you are forced to do when joining any shared tour.
Minimum 2 people
- You will be picked up from your Bangkok hotel by your own private vehicle and taken the 90 minute
- drive past the picturesque rice paddies and fish farms to Samut Songkhram Province
- 07:00 - Departure from Bangkok to Maeklong Railway Market
- 08:40 - Arrive at the market and wait to see the train passing through.
- 09:15 - Continue to Damnoen Saduak Floating Market
- 10:00 - Arrive at Damnoen Saduak, where you can take a boat around the Floating Market, most people choose the 2 hour trip to see the full market.
- 12:30 - Back to Bangkok
- 14:00 - Arrive back at your Bangkok Hotel
Price - From 750 baht per person
The price includes driver, car, fuel and tolls but does not include boat hire.